Wednesday, December 29, 2010

PCOS Awareness

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)

Have you hugged an infertile today?

Did you know:

10% of all women have PCOS

PCOS is the #1 cause of infertility (Isn't that the truth!)

About 50% of women with PCOS get insulin resistance (which can cause impaired glucose tolerance or Type 2 diabetes) (I have this unfortunately)

Women with PCOS have a higher risk of miscarriage if they do get pregnant (We just had a miscarriage)

Women with PCOS have a 4 to 7 times greater risk of having a heart attack than normal people

Women with PCOS have a greater risk of high blood pressure (I have high blood pressure)

Women with PCOS run the risk of endometrial cancer (very scary thought)


Those are just a few of the many many saddening facts of PCOS.

Remember that the more we talk openly about PCOS and other infertility issues, the less taboo they are and hopefully will eventually be looked at as the serious medical issues they really are.

Never give up Hope and spread the word.

1 comment:

  1. I just read about a graphic novel about infertility struggles in my alumni magazine. It looked interesting, and I'm thinking of buying it. I thought I might pass the info along to you, because it might help you feel supported to read about someone else going through it, too. http://www.amazon.com/Good-Eggs-Memoir-Phoebe-Potts/dp/0061711462

    I also have a great book called "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" that has a chapter on PCOS. I haven't read that chapter yet, but when I get time, I'll have a look and see if the author offers any advice. I'm sure it's nothing beyond what your doctor is already trying, but sometimes it's nice to do your own research, too, just so that you feel well-informed.

    Good luck! Be well.

    ReplyDelete